Situation: Harry making embarrassing dying noises (anh, anh, anh), while fighting sleep both at home and when out and about.
Diagnosis: Overtired as a result of systematic over stimulation. (What don’t need to read every book, sing every song and practise using every muscle in the body during every play session?????? How disappointing).
Remedy: Slow down and let Harry smell the roses. Back to the Sleep, Feed, Play Routine in earnest. One new toy every three days, no more than three toys per play session. Antics at bathtime severely scaled down.
Result: Mum exhausted and Harry still not very happy
…..but wait there is a light…..
I am so happy the techniques seem to have worked. Well worked once anyway…….
- 3.45pm – Harry not slept since 9am and extremely tired and cranky and falling asleep on boob
- 3.46pm – Harry asleep and lying in bassinet mattress, Mum exhausted and flaked out on the couch.
- 6.20pm – Harry wakes slightly cranky
- 6.20pm to 6.40pm – Super feed, Harry much happier
- 6.40pm to 6.50pm – Harry bathed by Dad
- 6.50pm to 7.00pm – Harry cuddles Mum and watches Dad cook steak
- 7.00pm – Harry shows first tired sign – a yawn
- 7.01pm – Harry starts to crack when Mum attempts to put him in Rocker. Beep, Beep, Beep Alarm. Harry put to bed with no fuss, no crying, no dying noises.
- 7.15pm – Harry sound asleep. Mum and Dad fed and very happy.